Cave Spring School – La Russell, Missouri
The school was originally a log building, located about a half-mile from it’s current location. Around 1839, the school was relocated to it’s current location with added thick brick walls. During the Civil War the school received terrible damaged from conflicts and even served as a temporary court house. In 1875 the school was reconstructed again using the same bricks.
The school was in operation for nearly 128 years and officially closed when Missouri established its own school system in 1865. In 1967, the Eastern Jasper County Historic Sites Association acquired the school and the land it sits.
In recent years the school has received private funding and many repairs to preserve it. It now serves as a county park and historical site.